Yields: 6-8 Servings
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked cubed roast beef (at least)
- Optional: 1 (1 ounce) package au jus mix (or your own favourite spices!)
- Optional: other veggies such as peas, mushrooms, peppers, etc
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and garlic.
- Add veggies and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes and barley.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add Worcestershire, spices and beef.
- Stir in demi-glace.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30- 45 minutes or until veggies and barley are tender