Yield: 7 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, melt the margarine.
- Add carrots, apples, onion, garlic and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, sage, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Cool soup for 5 minutes.
- Puree one-third at a time in a blender or food processor.
- Return to the saucepan; cover and cook over medium until heated through.