Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (substitute: 1 tsp vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots and cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cauliflower, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, or in the pot using an immersion blender. Note: You may choose to only puree half the batch, leaving some chunks of vegetables
- Return to low heat and stir in milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and sherry. Heat through. Serve garnished with parsley