Yields: 8 Servings
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the lentils, broth, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and oregano. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve on whole wheat spaghetti or spaghetti squash and sprinkle with cheese.