On Thursday, May 5th, 2016, SVCHC and Rainbow Health Ontario hosted the Trans 101 training at the Ramada Inn. We had a huge turnout of over 130 people! Here are resources from this training:
- PowerPoint – Introduction to LGBTQ Health Needs
- PowerPoint – LGBTQ Mental and Emotional Health
- PowerPoint – Removing Barriers: Making Your Organization LGBTQ Positive
- PowerPoint – Case Scenarios
- Counselling for LGBTQ
- General Resources for LGBTQ
On Thursday, June 30th, 2016, SVCHC and Rainbow Health Ontario hosted training titled “Providing Primary Care to Trans Clients”. Here are the slides from this training:
The following list of LGBTQ Resources is a work-in-progress and by no means complete. If you notice broken links or wish to add to the list, feel free to let us know.
Information and Reference Material
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Change to Improve Health Care for Individuals who are LGBT, Gender Noncomforming, or Born with DSD: A Resource for Medical Educators. AAMC (2014).
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly known as the (Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), is a non-profit, interdisciplinary professional and educational organization devoted to transgender health. Our professional, supporting, and student members engage in clinical and academic research to develop evidence-based medicine and strive to promote a high quality of care for transsexual, transgender, and gender-nonconforming individuals internationally. The website includes valuable references in its promotion to the highest standards of care, including clinical guidance through its “Standards of Care”(find it under Publications) and other valuable resources.
- BC Trans Care Project Clinical Guidelines
- Trans and Nonbinary Youth Inclusivity in Sexual Health
- Sherbourne Health Centre’s trans care protocol
- Catie: Gay Men’s Sexual Health Knowledge Centre Website to increase the capacity of front-line service providers to respond to the sexual health and other health needs of cisgender and transgender, gay, bisexual, queer and two-spirit men and other men who have sex with men.
- 10 Tips for Working with Transgender Individuals: A guide for health care providers
- Counselling and Mental Health Care of Transgender Adults and Loved Ones
- Transgender Men and Lactation: What Nurses Need to Know
- Asking the Right Questions 2: Talking with Clients about Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in Mental Health, Counselling and Addiction Settings
- Institute for Sexual Minority Health Offers LGBT focused training, consultation and clinical supervision for health professionals, educators and organizations.
- Speaking with Patients about Sexuality and Gender
- Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre – Ottawa Trans Resource Guide
- Adopting a Trauma-Informed Approach for LGBTQ Youth – Part 1: Why Use a Trauma-Informed Approach With LGBTQ Youth?
- Adopting a Trauma-Informed Approach for LGBTQ Youth – Part 2: How Do You Implement a Trauma-Informed Approach With LGBTQ Youth?
LGBTQ Promotional Materials for Workplaces:
Community Web Links
- LGBTQ Parenting Network Provides training, research, resources, legal education in support of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer parenting. Find information about the Trans Family Law Project on this site.
- Birth Registration in Ontario: LGBTQ Parenting Recognition
- To Our Allies – Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Issues
- Ottawa Senior Pride Network – Generations of Pride
- LGBTQ Resources for Youth
- LGBTQ Resources for Parents & Guardians
- Transgender People & Relationship Abuse: Information & Resources
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Parented Families
- Ten Things Transgender Persons Should discuss with Their Healthcare Care Provider
- I am a transgender dad in a gay relationship who breastfeeds his baby boy
- Local Agencies Identifying as LGBTQ Welcoming
- LGBTQ+ Service Providers with contact information
- Rainbow Health Initiative Rainbow Health Initiative is a community-based non-profit organization committed to advancing the health and wellness of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities through research, education and advocacy.
- Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants This website shares resources and increases organizational capacity across the sector to more effectively serve LGBTQ newcomers.
- Canada’s Safer Schools and Inclusive Education Website
- Centretown Community Health Centre GLBTTQ+
- Gender Mosaic Ottawa-based website that provides support and resources to the transgender community and their families.
- The National Association of Lesbian and Gay Addiction Professionals The National Association of Lesbian and Gay Addiction Professionals is a membership organization founded in 1979 dedicated to the prevention and treatment of alcoholism, substance abuse, and other addictions in lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender communities. NALGAP’s mission is to confront homophobia and heterosexism in the delivery of services to LGBT people and to advocate for LGBT-affirming programs and services. NALGAP provides information, training, networking and advocacy, and support for addiction professionals, individuals in recovery, and others concerned about LGBT health.
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Medical Students of Canada The purpose of our network is to: 1) Allow for networking between GLBT medical students, physicians, and other supportive health care groups 2) Create a forum to discuss GLBT issues and their relation to health care 3) Provide support for GLBT medical students and trainees during their career 4) Organize social events and coordinate advocacy activities 5) Promote the visibility of the estimated 800 GLBT medical professionals in Canada
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drug Problems & Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Individuals
- Sherbourne Health Centre The Sherbourne Health Centre, located in the heart of Toronto’s gay community, offers comprehensive health care to our diverse and vibrant communities – lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirited, intersex, queer, or questioning. A community partner of CAMH.
- Partner Violence This like provides multiple resources for those living in unhealthy and abusive relationships. Geared to individuals as well professionals.
- Family Pride Network Family Pride Canada is a national online resource centre for queer parents, prospective queer parents, partners, children, families, allies, and other families with LGBT members.
- TRANS-Canada TRANS-Canada seeks to positively change the way society and the medical and legal communities view transsexual, transgendered and other gender variant people. Their mission is to provide a forum for the collection and dissemination of information regarding the issues which affect the trans community as a whole, as well as acting as a clearing house for news and resources in general. They urge all related organisations to join in providing links to their respective web sites.
- AIDS Committee of Toronto The AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT) is a community-based, charitable organization that provides support, HIV prevention and education services for people living with and at risk for HIV/AIDS. ACT works with gay and bisexual men, Portuguese-speaking communities, youth and women at increased risk for HIV infection, to develop and deliver HIV/AIDS prevention education and outreach programs. A CAMH community partner.
- The Lesbian and Gay Community Appeal (LGCA) The LGCA is the only foundation of its kind in Canada – to build and support individuals and groups that enhance the development of the LGBT communities. Since 1980, the LGCA Foundation has raised funds through an annual giving program and special initiatives. Through the generosity of individuals and businesses, the LGCA Foundation is able to provide much-needed funding for projects and programs in the areas of education, health, human rights and arts and culture. LGCA is supports and works with Rainbow Services at CAMH.
- Egale Canada Canada’s national charity promoting lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans human rights through research, education and community education.
- PFLAG Canada Every day, PFLAG Canada volunteers are contacted by frightened adolescents and by angry, fearful or ashamed parents. PFLAG Canada supports, educates and provides resources to anyone with questions or concerns. Just call us at 1‑888‑530‑6777.
The following TED Talk is Carys Massarella is an attending emergency physician at St.Joseph’s Healthcare in Hamilton. She is also the lead physician for the Transgender Care Program at Quest Community Health Centre in St. Catharines. Dr Massarella lectures widely on transgender health care and was named one of the World’s 50 Transgender icons by the Huffington Post. Her talk focuses on the false narrative of deception in relation to transgender identity, rights, and equality.