Black Bean ‘n’ Pumpkin Chili
Yield: 10 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin (or cooked from fresh)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for about an hour on medium low. Alternatively, you can transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker and cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours.
- If desired, top with avocado and green onions.
1 cup equals 192 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 658 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein.