Garden Fresh Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Yields: 4-8 Servings
- 5-6 garden tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat or Italian bread, sliced (or use baguette)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together chopped garlic, onion, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
- When combined slowly drizzle in oil.
- Add tomatoes and let sit for 20 minutes at room temp.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread. This can be done either in the toaster (if it has wide slots) or under the broiler (if using this method watch closely so it doesn’t become too tough).
- When the bread is toasted rub each piece, on one side, with the whole garlic pieces.
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and top with the tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle on a little cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.