Veggie-Packed Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
Yields: 4 Servings
- 3/4 cup of Dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp 1% milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin purée
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 pack whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup grated Canadian Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large pot over high heat, cook carrots, garlic, onion, zucchini, herb seasoning and pepper to pot and sauté for about 8 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until about half of the milk is absorbed. Stir in pumpkin purée until blended, then tomatoes and lentils; reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thick and flavorful.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook spaghetti for about 10 minutes or until tender (or according to package directions). Drain well.
- Stir half of the Canadian Parmesan cheese into sauce. Divide spaghetti among serving bowls and spoon sauce over top. Serve sprinkled with remaining cheese.