Your privacy is important to us
Privacy and Confidentiality
All SVCHC staff and volunteers are committed to maintaining and protecting the confidentiality of your personal information (i.e. health information, contact information, demographic information).
How We Use Your Information
SVCHC may use your personal information in a number of ways:
- To provide you with health care, programs, and services.
- To help us plan programs and services, or evaluate the quality of services.
- To contact you regarding upcoming events (such as the flu shot clinic or a community event).
- In order to provide you with comprehensive health care, your personal health information may be shared among those staff members who are directly involved with your care.
Disclosure of Your Information
Personal information will not normally be shared with outside persons or agencies without your consent. If you agree to a referral to a health professional outside of SVCHC, we will assume that you allow us to forward the relevant personal health information unless stated otherwise.
There are situations in which we are authorized or required by law to disclose information without your consent. SHCHC will comply with these situations.
Consequences of Not Providing Information
Each service provided through SVCHC requires different types of information from you. If you choose not to provide the requested information, we may not be able to provide you with specific services. However, you are still able to use other services offered through the Centre.
Access to Your Medical Records
You may request to have access to, or a copy of, your personal health information. All records remain the property of SVCHC.
Complaints and/or Feedback
Please feel free to discuss any confidentiality matters with your service provider or with the Privacy Officer (Erin Killoran). You may also use our compliments and concerns form to share your comments or concerns. You may share your concerns with the Information and Privacy Commissioner who can be reached at 1-800-387-0073, or on-line at www.ipc.on.ca.
Online Properties and Electronic Communication
Anonymous and Identifying Information Collected:
- SVCHC does not collect information from casual users of the guest Wi-fi services through cookies, log files or other automatic mechanisms.
- Any identifying information (I.P addresses and user names) that is collected from general users of the SVHC network is securely stored on the servers in the locked server room.
- Information collected in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) is shared as required when medically required (e.g., internal and external referrals).
- SVCHC does not require clients, guests or contractors to install executable programs on a system outside of the SVCHC network.
Mechanisms in place to Opt-In or Opt-out of electronic communication
- Clients or guests may opt-in of electronic communication using the SVCHC Virtual Consent Form or by providing their email to staff or via a web form.
- Clients or guests may opt-out of electronic communications with SVCHC at any time by advising SVCHC staff. SVCHC staff will indicate this preference in the client’s chart and remove the client’s name from any existing email distribution list.