Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine ground beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper in a large saucepan. Cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain grease.
- Stir diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste into the pan.
- Season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper (and/or other spices of your choice).
- Simmer spaghetti sauce for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Tip: Serve with whole wheat spaghetti noodles or spaghetti squash and a side salad