Yields: 8 slices
- 1 purchased thin whole wheat or whole grain pizza crust (12-14″/30-35 cm in diameter)
- 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) cooked black beans OR 1 – 14 oz can (398 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp (2 ml) hot sauce
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup (125 ml) salsa
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh parsley (or cilantro), chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (125 ml) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place pizza crust on a baking sheet; bake at 375°F (190°C) for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Mash beans with a fork; combine beans and next 5 ingredients (beans through garlic) in medium bowl, stirring to combine. Spread bean mixture over crust, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Spoon salsa evenly over bean mixture; top with tomato and spinach. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake at 375°F (180°C) for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Garnish with parsley.