Seaway Valley Community Health Centre has two Registered Dietitians who work alongside our primary care team and with family physician offices throughout Cornwall and SD&G.
Registered Dietitians are regulated health professionals, specially trained to provide medical nutrition therapy to promote health, prevent illness and manage many of the common health conditions we see in the community.
Our dietitians work with you to provide advice that suits your unique lifestyle, including cultural food traditions, budget, food skills, personal needs and challenges, and health conditions. They help you understand the connection between food and health, and work with you to embrace and enjoy all that food has to offer.
Our dietitians provide a wide range of counseling services including:
- Nutrition across the lifespan (from infancy to older adult care)
- Heart health (high cholesterol, high blood pressure)
- Chronic disease (e.g., kidney, liver, cancer, osteoporosis)
- Digestive issues including irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel diseases, diverticular disease, celiac disease, and food allergies/intolerances
- Addressing weight concerns and disordered eating patterns
- … and much more!
At your first visit together, you can expect the dietitian to:
- Ask you about your eating habits and the factors that influence what, when and how much you eat
- Review your medical history, medications and supplements that may affect your nutritional needs
- Complete a comprehensive nutrition assessment to identify your nutritional needs
- Create a nutrition care plan that fits your lifestyle and preferences with realistic and practical tips to help you stay healthy, improve your health and/or manage an existing health condition
You may see one of our dietitians at any time. Please fill out our dietitian self-referral form below. You may also ask your primary care provider to send a referral.
Our Dietitians also offer nutrition wellness groups that can help you improve your health and even learn some new delicious meals to prepare at home.