Yields: 3 Servings
- 6 large green peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup long grain or brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 ounces)
- Cut tops from green peppers; discard seeds and membranes.
- Chop enough of the tops to make 1/4 cup, set aside.
- Cook the whole green peppers, uncovered in boiling water for about 5 minutes; invert to drain well.
- In a skillet cook ground beef, onion and 1/4 cup chopped pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat. Add undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, water, salt, Worcestershire, and a dash of pepper.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in cheese. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in a 10x6x2 baking dish.
- Bake, covered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.